www.boogaj.com > knitting gallery

« Back to knitting gallery

Petes_forest_socks

Petes_forest_socks

Pattern: Generic socks -- 72 stitches
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in Forest (37) purchased from ThreadBear Fiber Arts
Needles: US 1 Brittany Birch dp's 7" (wish they were 5", but that's all I have)
Re-started: 3/7/03
Finished: 2/15/04

100% Complete:
Yipee! They are finished and Pete likes them. Whew. These socks fought me the whole way and I am glad that they are done.

They illustrate the weirdness of handpainted yarns. They are the same colorway and from the same dyelot, but there is something not quite right. Perhaps it has something to do with my tension. Or maybe it has to do with where I started in the skein. However, there is no denying that there is a lot more of the light blue color in the first sock that I knit. I don't mind and Pete doesn't mind, so it's not a problem, it's just strange.

45% Complete:
Down to the toe shaping. The 72 stitches around are killing me! I think I could have knit a sweater faster!

2% complete
Frog City! I decided that these socks were going nowhere. I just wasn't interested in working on creating a toe-up pattern. See, socks are my "easy" project and this wasn't easy anymore. After frogging them, I decided to try the "socks on 2 circs" method, but I had purchased 12in. Addi Turbos which were much too short, so more frogging ensued. Now I'm back to my boring old Brittany birch dp's and things are moving along smoothly!

Pattern: Toe-Up Socks -- my own pattern which I will post as I go.
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in Forest (37) purchased from ThreadBear Fiber Arts
Needles: US 1 Brittany Birch dp's 7" (wish they were 5", but that's all I have)


5% complete
I decided to try a toe-up sock for the first time! All the patterns that I had used some funky toe or were for a different weight yarn or had a pattern to them, so I'm making up my own pattern. So far I have used a figure-8 cast on with 10 stitches on each needle for a total of 20 stitches. (I think I will have to describe this technique in my next post because I couldn't find much on the web that would really explain how to do this.) Then I started to increase in the second and second to last stitch on each of the two needles. When I finished a few rows I moved half of each of the stitches onto 2 more needles. So now there are four needles plus the working needle. I continued to increase in every row (4 stitches each row -- 1 stitch on each needle) until there were 11 stitches on each needle, then I switched to increasing on every other row. I'm not sure how many stitches I will have in the end -- probably 64, 68 or 72.


Permalink